PowerPoint (Google Slides):
TITLE: Element Baby Book
- Understand the elements in the periodic table
- Create an informative element baby book through research
- Know the properties of one element from the periodic table
- Learn about the groups in the periodic table
- Increase the understanding of where elements come from
- Become aware of the weights and measurements of an element
- Use creativity, technology, resources, and data
SKILLS: They will learn listening skills when given instructions. They will develop responsibility skills since they will have to do their own research. This project will help them develop creativity skills since they will have to manage to fit information from the periodic table into an element baby book.
GRADE LEVEL: Elementary
LESSON CONTENT: This lesson plan is so students become more familiar with the periodic table and its elements.
1) Introduce the subject with The Periodic Table Powerpoint (Google Slides) and the YouTube video (https://youtu.be/sLpVMdVlwVY .)
2) List the requirements: a cover page, birth certificate, picture of the element and its family, and a family tree.
3) Show an example of an element baby book and how it looks
4) At the computer lab, have everyone go to PTable and look for an element that they like. Next, have them start creating their own element baby book. They can find all the information they need from the website. They can create the entire element baby book from the computer or use papers, scissors, and markers.
5) Once everyone is done they can present their element baby book to the rest of the class.
FORMATION: Students can do all the research at the computer lab or at their desks if they decide to craft their book with paper, scissors, and markers.
EQUIPMENT: Computer, website access, paper, markers, scissors,
SUGGESTIONS: Students will work individually or they can team up in partners. Depending on grade level, if the research is complicated they can team up in teams or each one can make their own book. Help them with research if needed but let them have full creativity.
ASSESSMENT: Students will be assess if they have correct information and have fully completed the book on time.
My Example of My Element Baby Book:
My Example of My Element Baby Book:
NEON’S BABY BOOK
My element's name is Neon Nicolas and his nickname is Ne. His place of birth was in London, England. Neon Nicolas was born in 1898 with a birth weight of 20.18 amu and a height of 10 inches tall. His race is Noble Gases and his gender is gas. His attending physician was the amazing Sir William Ramsay. His personality consists of getting so mad that his boiling point is at -246.1 °C. His melting point is at -248.6 °C.
This is to certify that
Birth Weight: ________ Birth Height: _________ Race: _______
Gender: ________ Nickname: __________
Was born in the year of _____
in the country of _______.
Physician in attendance was ___________
Signature of Parent: ___________
NOBLE GASES FAMILY
2 Ramsay Road
Helium is the father, Argon is the mother, Krypton is the oldest brother, Xenon is the oldest sister, Radon is the youngest daughter and Neon is the baby brother of the family.
When my element Neon grows up he will have a bright future ahead of him because he will light up advertising signs. Neon will end up marrying Helium and together they will combine to to make helium-neon lasers. He will move away from England where he was born and move to las vegas where he can make it shine. He will be traveling from New York to Las Vegas back and forth because Times Squares also needs him a lot.